When it comes to social media, most small business owners are self-taught. You have learned how to use Facebook and Twitter with a personal account. Thus, you think it will be a breeze running a business account. The experience is useful, but there are some rules of social media that you must abide by.
When using social media, you have to ensure that you remain professional at all times. Here are some of the main mistakes that could harm your business on social media.
1. Choosing The Wrong Trends
When dealing with social media, you find yourself wanting to jump onto a trending topic to raise awareness about your brand. However, this may backfire on you. It may end up seeming as if your business is insensitive to the plight of others. In general, never jump on to a trend that is about any tragedy. Always ensure you know why the topic is trending and if it may affect the standing of your business.
2. Posting Too Much
When using social media, you do not want to irritate your followers by posting too much. Look at the engagement statistics to establish how many times you should post in a day. When using Facebook, about three to five posts a week is good. On Twitter, just a few tweets a day should do it.
3. Not Being Responsive
The whole reason we have social media is that you can engage your audience. If you do not interact with your audience, there is no point in posting anything. Even when the customer is complaining, reaching out to them on social media could help to lessen their frustration.
4. Hard Selling On Social Media
It is okay to mention a new product or an upcoming event on social media. However, that should not be the only thing appearing on your account. In most cases, 80 percent of your content on social media should be helpful to the customers. The other 20 percent can be promoting any events or products that are on your site. If your social media strategy is hard selling, you will fail.
As easy as social media may seem, it is even easier to screw up. Luckily, all of these mistakes are easy to avoid, and with a little work, you can be a social media pro.